1 of or in or relating to the nose; "nasal passages" [syn: rhinal]
1 a continuant consonant produced through the nose with the mouth closed [syn: nasal consonant]
- Rhymes: -eɪzəl
- Of or pertaining to the nose.
- Having a quality imparted by means of the nose; and specifically, made by lowering the soft palate, in some cases with closure of the oral passage, the voice thus issuing (wholly or partially) through the nose, as in the consonants m, n, ng; characterized by resonance in the nasal passage; as, a nasal vowel; a nasal utterance.
pertaining to the nose
- Czech: nosní
having a quality imparted by means of the nose
- Dutch: nasaal
- Welsh: trwynol
- An elementary sound which is uttered through the nose, or through both the nose and the mouth simultaneously.
- A medicine that operates through the nose; an errhine.
- A nasal vowel or consonant.
- (armour) Part of a helmet projecting to protect the nose; a nose
- 1909, Charles Henry Ashdown, European Arms & Armor, page
- The nasal continued in use until about 1140, when it was generally discarded, but isolated examples may be found in every succeeding century down to the seventeenth.
- 1909, Charles Henry Ashdown, European Arms & Armor, page 78,
- One of the nasal bones.
- A plate, or scale, on the nose of a fish, etc.
a nasal vowel or consonant
- Croatian: nazal, nosnik
Adjectivenasal (plural: nasaux)
Adjectivenasal (plural nasais)
- nasal consonant
- nasal bone
- nasal consonant
Nasal may refer to:
nasal in German: Nasal
nasal in Dutch: Nasaal
accented, allophone, alveolar, apical, apico-alveolar, apico-dental, articulated, articulation, aspiration, assimilated, assimilation, asthmatic, back, barytone, bilabial, blurred, breathing, breathy, broad, cacuminal, central, cerebral, check, checked, choked, choking, close, consonant, consonantal, continuant, croaking, dental, diphthong, dissimilated, dissimilation, dorsal, drawling, drawly, dysphonic, epenthetic vowel, errhine, expiratory, explosive, flat, front, glide, glossal, glottal, glottalization, guttural, hard, harsh, hawking, heaving, heavy, high, hoarse, huffing, inarticulate, indistinct, inspiratory, intonated, labial, labialization, labiodental, labiovelar, laryngeal, lateral, lax, light, lingual, liquid, lisping, low, manner of articulation, mid, mispronounced, modification, monophthong, monophthongal, morphophoneme, mute, muted, muzzy, narrow, nasalized, occlusive, open, oxytone, palatal, palatalized, panting, parasitic vowel, peak, pharyngeal, pharyngealization, pharyngealized, phone, phoneme, phonemic, phonetic, phonic, pitch, pitched, plosive, pneumonic, posttonic, prothetic vowel, puffing, pulmonary, pulmonic, quavering, respiratory, retroflex, rhinal, rounded, segmental phoneme, semivowel, shaking, shaky, sneezy, sniffling, sniffly, sniffy, snoring, snorting, snuffling, snuffly, snuffy, soft, sonant, sonority, speech sound, sternutatory, stertorous, stifled, stop, stopped, strangled, stressed, strong, surd, syllabic, syllabic nucleus, syllabic peak, syllable, tense, thick, throaty, tonal, tonic, transition sound, tremulous, triphthong, twangy, unaccented, unrounded, unstressed, velar, vocable, vocalic, vocoid, voice, voiced, voiced sound, voiceless, voiceless sound, voicing, vowel, vowellike, weak, wheezing, wheezy, wide